A sexologist is an expert in the field of sexology, generally a psychiatrist, who as part of his training is well versed in a variety of aspects of human sexuality, from normal sexual development to sexual orientation, the dynamics of sexual relationships and sexual dysfunctions and disorders, like erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, sexual desire problems and anorgasmia.
The following are common concerns that a sexologist helps individuals and couples, address:
- Complexity identifying satisfying activities for both partners
- Complexity communicating sexual needs and desires
- Lack of Intimacy
- Sexual trauma or sexual abuse history
- Sexual orientation identity
- Sexual compulsion.
- Erectile complexity
- Ejaculatory control complexity including premature ejaculation.
- Lack of or compact desire or arousal
- Complexity maintaining arousal.
- Complexity reaching orgasm.
- Fear of or aversion to touch, intimacy, penetration or pain
- Feeling abnormal (in terms of sexual behavior, fantasy, capability, physique, etc.)
- Feeling inexperienced, uninformed or misinformed, & unskilled in sexual matters.
- Feeling ashamed of sexuality or sexual desires
- Not finding satisfying sexual activities or maintaining intimacy after surgery, a health crisis, ongoing health challenges or during pregnancy and parenthood.