ED or erectile dysfunction is as old as humanity itself and there are few men whose equipment has not left them in the lurch at some point in their lives.
In earlier times, a failure to perform was often blamed on witchcraft or a curse, or just accepted as an inevitable result of growing older.
- Oral medications are successful erectile dysfunction treatment for many men. They contain:
- Avanafil (Stendra)
- Sildenafil (Viagra)
- Tadalafil (Cialis)
- Vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn)
Before oral medications like Viagra, testosterone was routinely used to treat erectile dysfunction as it is central in the male sexual response, including the desire for sex and the procedure of getting an erection. Testosterone can be administered in a number of ways, for example orally, by means of an injection, skin patch, or subcutaneous pellet.
Oral medication doesn’t work for everyone, and one or a combination of drugs can be injected directly into the penis to obtain an erection. The most general medications are alprostadil, papaverine, and phentolamine, which are injected into the side or base of the penis.
- Psychological counseling-
Some examples of the psychological reason for erectile dysfunction are fear, anxiety, depression, attitudes toward sex and mental blocks.
Men with severe depression tend to suffer from ED, and in most cases, depression needs to be treated before ED treatment will be successful.
- Penile implants may work for men who find ED medications ineffective. This engages the surgical implantation of devices into both sides of the penis. The implants may be either inflatable or semirigid rods.
Inflatable cylinders in the penis are filled by means of a pump from a reservoir in the abdominal area, causing an erection. This means that one can have an erection whenever and for as long as one likes.
- Lifestyle changes- ED can often be improved by making changes to your lifestyle, for example:
- Quitting smoking
- Cutting down on alcohol
- Losing weight if you are overweight
- Staying away from drugs
- Getting enough exercise
- Reducing your stress levels